Hypedome garden pods are ideal for extending your living space outdoors all year round. They’re especially delightful to use in warm months when the garden is bursting with colour and the evenings are long, mild and light.
If you’re not sure whether you can use your garden dome on hot sunny days without feeling too warm, try following our tips to help keep the temperature at a comfortable level. But before diving into those, let’s take a moment to explore the benefits of having a summer dome in your garden.
How Garden Pods Enhance Your Summer Lifestyle
Looking for a cosy space to enjoy the beauty of your garden even on chilly summer mornings or evenings? Fully enclosed Hypedomes provide the perfect retreat, keeping you warm and comfortable while you soak up the tranquil ambience of your outdoor space. Since they’re completely covered, you won’t be forever swatting away annoying flies or wasps. And providing you seal your summer dome from the ground with our Soft Floor Membrane or Insulated Modular Base, it’ll also be a no-go area for bugs and spiders.
Did you know?
- Hypedome garden pods are UV-protected on both sides. This means the panels won’t easily discolour or go cloudy, and all your furnishings inside will be protected against fading.
- Our Opal, Mirror and Grey garden pods offer built-in shade and shelter from the sun. The Mirror finish reflects the sun’s rays and makes it easier to cool the dome. The Opal finish is translucent rather than transparent, and the Grey has a 30% black tint. Because these aren’t entirely clear, they don’t allow as much light to pass through the panels, which helps reduce heat inside the dome.
If you’re going to use your dome frequently in a place where the temperatures are very high, choosing an Opal, Mirror, or Grey finish can make a big difference, compared to the Clear dome.
Tips for Keeping Your Summer Dome Comfortable in Warm Weather
Location is an important factor for your garden dome’s internal temperature, especially if you choose a crystal-clear Hypedome. (Like all transparent structures, it can get too warm inside on a hot sunny day). If possible, place your dome in a spot where it’s not constantly exposed to direct sunlight. Alternatively, consider a tinted finish rather than Clear.
Ideally, pick a spot for your dome where it can catch a little breeze (as this will help ventilate the interior when the door and windows are open).
What can you do to make your Hypedome garden pod a cosy and inviting retreat during the summer months? Here are some nifty tips for cooling the dome:
- Use shading accessories – install our Sun Shade Sail to control the sun exposure and prevent your summer dome from overheating. You can install up to two shades in the Hypedome S and M and one in the Mini. No fuss, no muss – they snap on and off in a flash! But if you long for some serious privacy and shade, our Privacy Curtains combined with Hype.Wall Panels will do the trick.
- Be clever with planting – planting trees and shrubs near your dome not only enhances its aesthetic appeal but can also provide some much-needed shade. The added greenery can help to cool down the air temperature and reduce heat inside. So, if you have the room, why not spruce up your dome’s surroundings with some beautiful greenery?
- Ventilate often – open the door (check our door guide to choose the entry option that suits you best) and tilt Window Panels to use them as vents to get the air flowing through the dome. Two to four (or even five in Hypedome S and Hypedome M) panels work best for proper dome ventilation. And for an extra cool breeze, plug in an electric fan. It’ll keep the air moving around your dome and make the inside way more comfortable.
- Use portable air conditioning (AC) units – if you live in a hot climate, consider a standalone AC unit which sits outside the dome and connects via ducting. These devices effectively pump in cool air to provide relief from the heat. Additionally, some models come with remote-operated thermostats, giving you the convenience to adjust the temperature from inside your dome. It’s a practical and efficient way to beat the heat and enjoy the summer season comfortably.
Bonus tip: During the dog days of summer, use your dome in the early morning or evening, not during the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest. The serene atmosphere of the cooler hours will additionally help you unwind and feel more at peace. So, take advantage of the more temperate parts of the day and enjoy your dome in comfort.
5 Ways to Enjoy Your Summer Dome in the Warm Months
A garden dome gives you a private and comfortable outdoor zone for all sorts of activities, such as:
- Alfresco dining – imagine enjoying a summer cook-up in a beautiful garden pod furnished with a table, chairs and decorations. Being under cover means you can continue enjoying the space long into the evening, even if it turns chilly, rainy or very windy.
- An outdoor lounge – relax on your summer patio in pure comfort with cosy cushions, throws and ambient lighting. There’s something very soothing about listening to the pitter-patter of raindrops during a summer shower. (Look out for a rainbow!)
- A garden gym or yoga space – why not use your summer dome to improve your fitness or meditative practice? Kit it out with a yoga mat, exercise bike or weights bench and add a Bluetooth speaker to play your favourite tunes. Perfect for sneaking in an early morning gym sesh – simply rise, shine, slap on a sweatband and get active.
- A kids’ playroom – create a dedicated space for little ones to play and have fun. Make it an art room, a Lego® den, a dressing-up area, or just fill it with games and toys. (Don’t leave the kids unattended on hot days though, in case the dome gets too warm).
- Garden office – make mundane workdays something to look forward to by using your dome as a base where you can relish the beauty of your summer garden. With the help of Mirror or Opal panels, you can create the perfect work environment, keeping you comfortable and inspired all day long.
There’s no limit to how you can use our domes. Unleash your imagination and create a space that caters to your every need, no matter how unconventional it may be.
Feel Those Summer Vibes with a Garden Dome
For a chic and flexible alternative to a traditional summer house, consider a summer dome on your patio. If you plan to use the dome during the warmer months when flip-flops are a must, refer to our tips above for keeping the interior comfortable.
Installing a Hypedome will elevate the charm of your garden and expand your options for dining, working, getting fit, letting your kids play or just relaxing. You’ll feel as cool as a cucumber in your dome sipping a cold beer or iced tea on a sun-kissed summer evening!